Senior Legislative Analyst
Posted: Jul 20, 2018
Location: Washington, DC US
Hispanic Federation (HF) is currently seeking a Senior Legislative Analyst to join our team in Washington, DC. Responsibilities include providing substantive policy analysis and recommendations in federal policy areas such as education, health, Puerto Rico, and the environment. The Senior Policy Analyst will report to the Director of National Advocacy. Hill experience or 5+ years working in legislative affairs preferred. Some of the Analyst’s responsibilities will include:
- Monitor, track, and evaluate federal policy initiatives and bills including collecting, analyzing, and synthesizing information from a variety of sources;
- Perform substantial writing, including completing issue briefs, talking points, advocacy letters, blog posts, draft op-eds, policy statements, monthly member communications, and reports;
- Attend meetings with congressional staff, policymakers, experts, and issue stakeholders to effectively communicate HF policy priorities;
- Serve as an advocate and representative of HF in policy forums, coalitions, and networks increasing HF’s profile within coalitions and decision-making bodies, identifying opportunities for collaboration and partnership building;
- Support the federal policy team's ability to track and respond to the evolving national policy context;
- Oversee recruitment and supervision of DC policy intern program;
- Collaborate with HF communications and policy teams to assist in the development of action alerts, text campaigns, and complimentary social media advocacy plans and goals;
- Assist with the planning and execution of federal advocacy days;
- Maintain work plans for all projects;
- Maintain advocacy tracking systems, and assist in the development of new systems as needed; and
- Provide administrative support to the Director of National Advocacy as needed.
BA/BS degree required. Master’s Degree in public policy, political science or other relevant area preferred.
- 5+ years of professional experience in policy research, analysis, writing and engaging in federal legislative and administrative advocacy, preferably involving the Latino community.
- Hill and/or legislative affairs experience and relationships strongly preferred.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills and ability to analyze vary writing style to meet needs and to synthesize complex policy information quickly and accurately are essential.
- Experience tracking and analyzing legislation and administrative activity;
- Ability to develop work plans, meet deadlines, and manage multiple policy projects, simultaneously.
- Policy expertise in one (or more) of HF’s core policy areas a plus.
- Familiarity with federal budget process a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to Latino communities combined with knowledge of Latino policy issues, and strong understanding of intersectionality preferred.
- Strong organizational and computer skills required, including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel), and Google collaborative platforms.
- Bilingual written and spoken (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Proficiency with social media platforms and social media/online advocacy experience a plus.
- Ideal applicants will be able to function independently as well as part of a team, be self-starters, and work effectively with diverse stakeholders.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The salary range for this position if $70-$75k and is commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a benefits package with medical, dental, vision and a 403 (B) retirement plan. Please submit a résumé, cover letter detaiing your interest and qualifications, and two relevant writing samples via e-mail to email@example.com.